I’m not talking about commercialism and gift giving, but the true spirit of giving at Christmas time. I don’t do enough of it myself, and I’m not sure just thinking about it counts for much, but I think Christmas giving is important.
What giving do you do at Christmas time? Do you see it as a burden in a busy time or something that is just worthwhile and a priority?
Here’s some of the things I’ve thought of – can you add to the list?
- time for poor – serving Xmas lunch at a homeless shelter or helping hand out goods at a charity centre
- invite lonely people to join a Xmas celebration with you
- give to charity instead of giving token or joke gifts – a group I was in did this one year as we choose gifts for children and gave the bundle to a charity
- give charity gifts
- send cards to those not expecting it – maybe that shop assistant who smiled at you during your toddler’s tantrum, the nosy neighbour or a volunteer in your community (one you don’t deal with yourself)
- smile and be nice to people in Xmas crowds – not always easy but give it a go!