Christmas is a time of celebrations, family and fun. It’s easy in these times to forget about water and energy conservation, but conserving our resources is a year round activity.
Some easy ways to save energy of the summer holiday period are:
– Use curtains to keep out the sun and a fan to move the air rather than turning on an air conditioner or evaporative cooler
– Serve directly onto plates instead of serving platters so there are fewer dishes to wash
– Have a container ready for plates to be scraped into rather than rinsing them
– Consider dry flower or fruit arrangements instead of filling large vases with water for fresh flowers
– Use wine glass charms or another method to distinguish glasses so people can use the same one instead of washing glasses all day
And it doesn’t have to stop there! You can use alternative wrappings for presents instead of using so much paper, perhaps a nice tea towel, table cloth, hanky or scarf. You could even give some water saving gifts such as a tap timer or an efficient shower head. We have a few more ideas listed in our article on saving water at Christmas, too.
Christmas is only 12 weeks away, so now is the time to sit down and plan out your Christmas and make it practical and environment friendly. 🙂