I came across this unusual Christmas tree and fell I love with the idea of it 🙂
Basically, for Christmas 2016, a scout group hung up a green Auto tent to form a flowing tree shape and then decorated it! And used decorations hand made by the children in the scout group 🙂
Rebecca Goodson, Group Leader for that scout troop, explained their tree:
Very proud of our ‘tree’ for our local Church Christmas tree festival. Our tree was titled “Oh what a year” and depicted the main events and activities the Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Explorers took part in during 2016. We used a traditional (and very old) Canvas patrol tent – visitors to the week’s events were impressed with the authentic Scout Hut fragrance!!! We have a wooden Scout Hut that is in its 92nd year so it’s a little cold and damp. The idea for this year’s Tree was my husband’s idea and we are already planning next year’s.
I love this tree because
- it totally suits the group assembling the tree (ie a tent is ideal for scouts!)
- it makes use of something they already had (ie no need to buy a tree)
- it can be used for other purposes (in this case, camping!) throughout the year so it is not just taking up storage space for 11 months of the year
- it is unique and completely personalised
- it is very environmentally friendly
- it is unexpected and lots of fun!